From the beginning of this project, Nancy and I have worked to contain costs by being personally engaged in the work. Specifically, I have chosen to adjust my travel schedule during construction so I can complete a number of tasks. Each task that I complete saves us money. I am grateful that our ministry commitments and schedule have allowed for this flexibility.
For example, we are saving thousands of dollars by installing the shower tiles and hardwood floors ourselves. This week Nancy started working on the showers and I started the floor. We are slower than the professionals, but we hope to get the same result at a lower cost.
We have also worked to contain our end cost by downgrading our cabintes, counter-top, floor coverings, etc. For example, we purchased the kitchen wall cabinets this week for $150! This blessing came from a local retirement village who sold us the used cabinets at half thier normal heavily-discouted price.
Nevertheless even with these savings, our costs are running over-budget. Much of this overage was caused by the rocks that needed to be dug out of the basement and foundation. We also encountered increased costs in renovating some parts of the old building.
So, I am working with our bank to increase our funding. I have been assured that they will be able to lend us the extra $20,000 to $25,000 that we expect to need to finish. My prayer is that God will provide us the additional income we will need to pay this back.
This week we also completed the fireplace and installed the stained glass window that had been out for repairs since September.