Our excavator prepared a special road for the concrete truck to get to the back of the house to pour its load through the basement window. Fortunately the weather stayed dry for several days beforehand and the plan worked. Even though it started to rain as the truck was pulling out, the basement floor is installed and we now have one finished area in the house! Finally, I have a place to store the stuff that I have been moving from place to place to clear working areas.
This week we also worked to bring water into the house, insulated the walls, and started hanging drywall. I am grateful for the steady progress we are making.
One of the areas of construction that I needed to research was how to repair and extend the stone exterior. The places where the old construction meets new and around the great room window are broken. We also want to extend the rock facade across the front of the garage to visually tie the old building to the new construction. I was helped by a neighbor who connected me to a stone mason, John, and by my excavator who connected me to another home owner, Ed. Ed has been researching rock construction for three years. After meeting them seperately I discovered that John and Ed are working together on Ed’s house.
I learned that there is a local stone cutter who will cut my stones into facade sized rocks. Because I can provide the raw material, this will not be much more expensive than vinyl siding. At this point this seems like a good solution. I am grateful for the knowledgable people who are helping us! Hopefully we will be able to finish the exterior before it gets too cold.