There wasn’t much I could do to directly help the sub-contractors this week, so I started to remove the steeple. I felt sad to remove this highly visible and symbolic link to the building’s history. It appeared to have exhausted its life span, so I felt it must go. To rebuild it seemed extravagant and beyond our budget.
However, after I removed the exterior parts, I found that the steeple’s structure was fairly sound. Maybe we could save it after all? I was unsure what to do, so I asked for input from my Facebook friends. To my surprise, a couple dozen people responded and their opinions were unanimous – we should attempt to save the steeple.
Encouraged by our friends’ enthusiasm, I will work to preserve this part of the old building.
The primary agenda this week was to build the basement walls. The block layers worked Wednesday and Thursday to complete the block wall and prepare for the three poured walls. I was grateful for the care they took to make sure the walls went exactly where they were supposed to go. It became apparent that if they made mistakes, the consequences would have significant and probably long term effects on the house. I thought many times about how important foundations are, whether the foundation of a building or the beliefs and values upon which we build our lives.
Due to a Thursday afternoon cloud-burst, we were not able to pour the three walls. It took all Friday morning to pump the water out of the basement hole which did not leave enough time to build the forms and bring in the concrete trucks. Hopefully, this job will finish early next week.